Click the above photo for the link for the volunteer form.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Crème de la Crop! We have a real need for enthusiastic volunteers. Please take the time to fill out the enclosed forms, and either mail them in, email, or bring them by the Farm. This information will help us get a better idea of your interests and time availability.
Volunteering at Crème de la Crop is a wonderful way to connect with the living ecology of soil, plants, people, and yourself! We invite you to play in the dirt with us by helping in the greenhouse or fields doing crop maintenance as well as harvesting and many special projects. Tasks will be delegated, according to your ability. We ask that you contact us 24 hours, by email, before visiting to give us a chance to organize the day’s activities.
Age Requirements and Restrictions
Volunteers must be at least 18 years old to volunteer at the farm. Volunteers are not permitted to bring any children with them during volunteering hours.
Schedule and Time Commitment
Daily from noon to four pm we invite you to participate with us in our activities (special schedules can be arranged). It is encouraged that the volunteers stick to a weekly schedule and pair up with other individuals in a community-like setting. We ask for a commitment of at least two hours per visit, with a maximum of four hours per day. Please notify us by email or text 48 hours before the day of participation so we can organize the activities. Include in your message arrival time, names of the helpers and expected time spending at the farm.
Frequently Asked Questions about Volunteering
What is “Crème Cash”?
For every hour you spend lending a helping hand, we will give you a seven dollars credit towards future C.S.A. honey, and meat purchases. Fifty percent of earned Crème Cash must be applied toward CSA. When you arrive at the farm, please check-in by filling out the form provided (name and time in). Before leaving fill in the time out area of the form. Monthly we will tally up the hours and send you a credit statement.
Why do people volunteer at Crème de la Crop?
People volunteer for a variety of reasons. Most people volunteer because they want to give back to their communities. Many people experience life changes that open their daily calendars in such a way that volunteering becomes an opportunity that they might not otherwise experience. Some of our volunteers want to learn more about the organic farming experience the connection of where their food comes from, communicate with others that are like-minded as well as know their farmer first-hand.
What if I have never worked at a farm?
Don’t be afraid to try new things. This can be a time of personal growth. You can develop new skills, learn about basic garden maintenance or learn about organic farming. Be sure you understand what you are supposed to do. Ask questions. Accept guidance and direction. Be flexible. It will take a shift or two to become familiar with the routines of your department. If you are working outdoors, wear clothing and shoes appropriate for your work area and the weather. Dress in layers and wear a hat in cool weather. Gloves are provided for any fieldwork.
Procedures and Recommendations
- Wear clothing appropriate for gardening activities. You may want to layer and have a backpack with you containing a few clothing options.
- The weather conditions change frequently, and we do want you to be as comfortable as possible. We recommend wearing lighter colors that reflect heat and deter insects.
- For your protection, please do wear sunscreen or another appropriate cover; the sun is hot and will burn you.
- We are growing organic food and require anyone entering the fields or handling produce to wash your hands in the sink provided; before doing so.
- Hydration is very important. Please bring a refillable water container with you. You will have access to filtered water… but we will not guarantee its temperature. Feel free to bring a small cooler with you.
- If you are entering any areas such as our apprentice house, we ask you to remove your shoes if they are muddy at the door to prevent any tracking issues.
- Please avoid wearing perfumes, colognes or artificially scented products; any artificially scented products attract mosquitoes, bees, and other flying insects.
- Treat each area within Crème de la Crop and all equipment with care.
- Treat staff members, apprentices and other volunteers with respect. Show good judgment through your actions and choices. You, along with the resident apprentices. Please respect the privacy of Crème de la Crop visitors.
- Please don’t bring radios, iPods, musical instruments, or pets. They can be a distraction to you and others.